RE: Notice of Data Breach
We are writing to let you know about a data security incident that may have involved personal information for some vendors and clients. HumanKind (formerly Presbyterian Homes and Family Services) takes the protection and proper use of your information very seriously. We are therefore posting this information for you to explain the incident and provide you with steps you can take to protect yourself.
We were recently notified by Blackbaud, one of our third-party service providers of a security incident. At this time, we understand they discovered and stopped a ransomware attack. After discovering the attempted attack, Blackbaud’s Cyber Security team—together with independent forensics experts and law enforcement— successfully prevented the cybercriminal from blocking their system access and fully encrypting files; and ultimately expelled them from their system. Prior to locking the cybercriminal out, the cybercriminal removed a copy of our backup file containing your personal information.
What Information Was Involved
It’s important to note that the cybercriminal did not access your credit cardholder data. However, Blackbaud has determined that the file removed may have contained some personal, business and financial information. Because protecting customers’ data is their top priority, Blackbaud paid the cybercriminal’s demand with confirmation that the copy they removed had been destroyed. Based on the nature of the incident, their research, and third party (including law enforcement) investigation, we have no reason to believe that any data went beyond the cybercriminal, was or will be misused, or will be disseminated or otherwise made available publicly.
What Blackbaud is Doing
Blackbaud is providing you with access to Single Bureau Credit Monitoring* services at no charge. Services are for 24 months from the date of enrollment. When changes occur to your Experian credit file, notification is sent to you the same day the change or update takes place with the bureau. In addition, they are providing you with proactive fraud assistance to help with any questions you might have. In the event you become a victim of fraud you will also have access remediation support from a CyberScout Fraud Investigator.
Proactive Fraud Assistance. For sensitive breaches focused on customer retention, reputation management, or escalation handling, CyberScout provides unlimited access during the service period to a fraud specialist who will work with enrolled notification recipients on a one‐on‐one basis, answering any questions or concerns that they may have. Proactive Fraud Assistance includes the following features:
- Fraud specialist-assisted placement of fraud alert, protective registration, or geographical equivalent, in situations where it is warranted.
- After placement of a Fraud Alert, a credit report from each of the three (3) credit bureaus is made available to the notification recipient (United States only).
- Assistance with reading and interpreting credit reports for any possible fraud indicators.
- Removal from credit bureau marketing lists while Fraud Alert is active (United States only).
- Answering any questions individuals may have about fraud.
- Provide individuals with the ability to receive electronic education and alerts through email.
Identity Theft and Fraud Resolution Services
Resolution services are provided for enrolled notification recipients who fall victim to an identity theft as a result of the applicable breach incident. ID Theft and Fraud Resolution includes, but is not limited to, the following features:
- Unlimited access during the service period to a personal fraud specialist via a toll-free number.
- Creation of Fraud Victim affidavit or geographical equivalent, where applicable.
- Preparation of all documents needed for credit grantor notification, and fraud information removal purposes.
- All phone calls needed for credit grantor notification, and fraud information removal purposes.
- Notification to any relevant government and private agencies.
- Assistance with filing a law enforcement report.
- Comprehensive case file creation for insurance and law enforcement.
- Assistance with enrollment in applicable Identity Theft Passport Programs in states where it is available and in situations where it is warranted (United States only).
- Assistance with placement of credit file freezes in states where it is available and in situations where it is warranted (United States only); this is limited to online-based credit freeze assistance.
- Customer service support for individuals when enrolling in monitoring products, if applicable.
- Assistance with review of credit reports for possible fraudulent activity.
How do I enroll for the free services?
To enroll in Credit Monitoring services at no charge, please navigate to: https://www.cyberscouthq.com/epiq263?ac=263HQ766
If prompted, please provide the following unique code to gain access to services:
If you are unable to access the service online please call 877-432-7463 for CyberScout Support. Once registered, you can access Monitoring Services by selecting the “Use Now” link to fully authenticate your identity and activate your services. Please ensure you take this step to receive your alerts. In order for you to receive the monitoring services described above, you must enroll by December 28, 2020.
We sincerely apologize for this incident and regret any inconvenience it may cause you. Blackbaud has set up this webpage with additional information https://www.blackbaud.com/securityincident. Should you have any further questions or concerns regarding this matter and/or the protections available to you, please do not hesitate to contact Nelson Nava, HumanKind’s Chief Financial Officer at email@example.com or
Robert S. Dendy Jr., MPH
President and CEO